Open Space Planner
- Band 7 – $98,730 to $110,484 salary range plus 10% Super
- Full Time, temporary until 30 September 2023
- Located at St Kilda Town Hall or with flexible working arrangements possible
About the Organisation
The City of Port Phillip is an inner-city council with around 1000 employees who deliver more than 100 programs and services to our residents, businesses and visitors. These range from childcare and immunisations, to libraries, management of parks and open space, rubbish collection, road maintenance and more. City of Port Phillip has zero tolerance for child abuse and is a committed Child Safe organisation.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced Open Space Planner who can plan, develop and deliver great public space, greening and coastal outcomes for the community. This is a new role to help deliver the priority actions in Council’s Places for People: Public Space Strategy 2022 – 2032.
The role would suit someone who understands public space usage and planning, is experienced in preparing strategies and guidelines and is responsive to the needs of the community. The role will have focus on implementing the strategy and guideline priority actions in Council’s Places for People: Public Space Strategy 2022 – 2032 including undertaking a review of the City of Port Phillip’s dog off-leash restrictions in public open spaces and will require strong experience in strategic planning, project management and facilitating community consultation.
- Prepare and implement strategies and planning policies for the provision and development of public open space, including the strategy and guideline priority actions in Council’s Places for People: Public Space Strategy 2022 – 2032.
- Provide expert advice and information to Council, staff, public authorities and the community on public open space issues.
- Undertake effective, accurate and timely benchmarking and research to ensure the organisation is addressing current trends in relation to balancing competing demands for use of public open space.
- Identify public open space opportunities and apply for external grants and funding opportunities, where appropriate.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders, including the community to gain positive public open space outcomes.
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated open space planning knowledge and experience
- Demonstrated excellent conceptual, strategic and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to prepare concise and accurate strategies, guidelines, reports and presentations
- Ability to confidently address and negotiate with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
People enjoy working at the City of Port Phillip because we are a welcoming, healthy and inclusive workplace. We offer a vibrant and diverse work environment where our employees can develop both professionally and personally whilst planning and delivering a range of important services and programs to the community.
- We offer a workplace which accommodates your working style and needs.
- Be supported and empowered by a leadership team that is community focused, with a strong desire for change and a culture that encourages teamwork and innovation.
- Training and development opportunities, study assistance, flexible working conditions, paid parental leave, an active social club, a health and wellbeing program, and a well- regarded Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
Security Requirements and Professional Obligations
Pre-employment screening will apply to all appointments.
Prior to a formal letter of offer, preferred applicants will be asked to provide:
- Evidence of mandatory qualifications/registrations/licences
- Sufficient proof of their right to work in Australia
- Sufficient proof of their identity.
- Evidence of COVID-19 Vaccination in line with VIC Gov Advice
- Complete a National Police Check completed via City of Port Phillip’s Provider.
- Evidence of a Working with Children Check.
How to Apply
All applicants must provide a Cover Letter in response to the key selection criteria located on the last page of the position description. The Cover Letter should be no longer than 2 pages and include each heading in the Key Selection Criteria.
Note: Only applications submitted via the online Recruitment Portal will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be provided feedback.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Claire Ulcoq, Acting Coordinator Open Space, via Claire.Ulcoq@portphillip.vic.gov.au or through ASSIST (03) 9209 6777.
Applications close 11.59pm Sunday 26 June 2022.
The City of Port Phillip is an equal opportunity employer, committed to an inclusive and accessible environment where diversity is valued. We actively welcome and encourage candidates from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, First Nation and Torres Strait Islander candidates, members of the LGBTQIA+ community and candidates with a disability.
If you have accessibility requirements or require an adjustment to participate in our recruitment and selection process, please contact David Crichton (HR Business Partner- Recruitment) on 0466 859 533 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org